Smells Like Teen Spirit
I know this entry maybe at least 5 years late. But I didn't have a blog back then. It's only fair if I do it now. Weeks ago I watched 'Barewitness' on MTV. It's a documentary feature on Nirvana's '94 MTV Unplugged show. As it had later known, it was one of their last public performance. Five months afterward, Kurt Cobain, the 'Dhani Ahmad' of the band, take his own life. Leaving the band, -disbanded. Throughout the entire concert, he showed his usual mood, looking gloomy, sullen, and brooding. His eyes were fixated on his guitar, avoiding any eye contact with the audience. His voice reverberates low, mumbling the band somber lyrics. Even on their high spirited trademark song 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. That is, -until the very last minutes of the show. In the last verses of their last song, titled 'Where do You Sleep Last Night', he scream the lyrics like he had never scream before. Almost as if he was saving all of his energy for those very last minutes. In the end, he grinned an eerie smirk, and nod toward the audience. It really gave me the chill.
Some good things come after his death. Dave Grohl later experience what were known as a 'drummer-complex'. After spending most of the band's show, not only behind everybody else in the band, but also behind an enormous drum set, finally came out strong as the lead vocalist, the song writer, the brain, or simply become the 'Dhani Ahmad' of a later very successfull band, the Foo Fighter.
I wonder if is it only me, or it is? Does anybody notice an itsy-bitsy resemblance between Dave and Alanis?


Oh, and about the famous 'swimming-baby' from Nirvana's Nevermind (1991) cover album, hear tell that the baby is now 14 year old, and well, even gracing another album cover.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home